Sunday, July 05, 2009

Wimbledon

As I sit here and watch Wimbledon I remember from my childhood when I used to love to watch tennis. It brings back interesting feelings from childhood in which I watched tennis sitting on the floor legs crossed and cheering for my favorite stars. I know that some people don't find tennis interesting and to be honest I respect that but keep in mind this is my sports blog NOT yours.
So this has been a very good Wimbledon final so far and currently Andy Roddick is tied in the 5th set with Roger Federer. Now as far as tennis goes I think the reason I have not been following it as much these days is because there are no huge American stars like there were 10-20 years ago. We have no Pete Sampras, Andre Aggasi, or hell even no John McEnroe or Jimmy Connors. The lack of big American stars has hurt the sport to the normal American fan like myself. Now that may sound strange or stereotypical but to me since this is an individual sport and not a team sport I need someone to cheer for. Instead of the hometown hero I find myself cheering for the underdog. And cheering for the underdog is fun but at the same time can get old really quickly. When you are never cheering for the same person twice it feels bad as a sports fan. I like to stick with my team. I really enjoy supporting my team in sports. It gives you a gratifying feeling when you win and that hurt when you lose makes you want to come back for another shot to win. Well these days I don't watch as much tennis because there seems to be no one to cheer for like the old days. It seems like Roger Federer is the only one out there that gets any publicity and is the only one you ever hear about winning (because he is the media darling) so I find myself not liking Roger Federer and hoping that Rafal Nadal wins instead. I get sick of hearing how everyone thinks that Roger Federer is the best of all time. I want him to lose. I find that the only real American heros (G.I. Joe reference there) in tennis these days are the female stars of Venus and Serena Williams. Now don't get me wrong, they OWN female tennis these days. I just want more from our hometown heros. In a strange way this is exactly what has happened to Boxing. There are no huge superstars in the heavyweight world and in turn that sport has fallen from grace in my opinion. I can remember watching Mike Tyson on pay-per-view and seeing him dominate someone in 3 rounds or less. Now the other thing that has really hurt boxing as a sport is the fact that MMA has taken over. But we will keep that for another blog. Meanwhile back to tennis. They keep showing Pete Sampras who is one of my favorite athletes of all time not just my favorite tennis player. I found his calm demeanor and amazing professionalism off and on the court to be what I admired in all athletes and on top of that he was a champion. He won 14 Grand Slams (which is the most of ever). Individual sports like tennis and golf are very entertaining as long as you have someone to follow. Sadly these days I just don't have anyone to follow. As far as Andy Roddick goes... I like the kid. But he has been a disappointment as far as wins when it comes to the world of tennis. He has only won 1 Grand Slam title and that was back in 2003. This is his first appearance in a Grand Slam title match since 2006.

This has gone to epic proportions now... it is 11-11 in the 5th set.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching todays Wimbledon. I wanted to wait until it ended to actually publish this blog so I coudl post the winner....

And once again Federer wins... Damn.
Epic match though, went to the 5th set and Federer wins 16-14 in the final set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home